Thursday 16 August 2018

Experiences as 1st time Head Judge in a PPTQ

Apologies for those who are waiting for the weekly feature of the PPTQ winners. We have a hiccup the last week, so we will be postponing the feature to next week instead, while we prepare the post!

Instead, let us feature another topic! From a different role this time round!Once you have experienced being a Head Judge in a PPTQ, there are no look backs! You can no longer use the term as a 1st time in PPTQ. That is your 1st time experience of a Head Judge in PPTQs, your precious and once and only! Once you have stepped into the dark side, you are never going to come back untainted. Well, I'm just exaggerating, it is definitely not to that certain extent, but it should be a personal journey of self exploration and reflection, by being the person with the final authority in resolving the disputes in the tournament. With great power, comes great responsibility.

So, why are we talking about these when all we want to know are about a Head Judge's experience. Well, PPTQs are one of the many events that are run in competitive rule enforcement level (REL), and it is also the most readily available competitive REL event you can get here. So, how does REL impacts the players? It is the method on the level of application of rules on MTG events, and relations between parties in the tournament changes accordingly to the different kind of REL (Regular/Competitive/Professional).

And today, we are honored to invite our guest for this session to talk about his experience as a 1st time Head Judge in a PPTQ! You may have seen him in Nationals, and also during other PPTQ events, but may not know his name! For those who may not know him, he has recently advanced to be able to Head Judge a PPTQ. Hurray! Without further ado, let us welcome Nicholas!

Name: Nicholas Keith Seah

Age: 28

Occupation: Senior Executive, Corporate Communications

When were you introduced to MTG: Back when I was still in secondary school, I was really into trading card games, like Yugioh and Pokemon. But Magic was always a hobby that I felt I could not afford. It was not until I started getting some kind of working allowance as a national serviceman that I decided to dabble in the “Magical” arts XP. My first deck was a pre-constructed deck from Rise of Eldrazi set. I had two very kind bunkmates who helped me learn the basics, as well as getting thrashed by artifact affinity and a White Serra Angel deck. After leaving the army, I did not touch Magic again until 2 years later when I found a play group that I started getting more into playing and brewing. It was also around the same time I got really interested in the mechanics and rules of the game.

Why did you want to become a judge: It started with a curious mind of wanting to know how the stack works, as well as the whole concept of priority passing. It led me to read up on the comprehensive rules unknowingly. The more I read, the more interested I get, and the deeper the “rabbit hole” I fell into. It was then my play group asked that since I have done so much reading, I might as well consider being a judge. That's pretty much how my journey started. Plus, I have always loved spectating and observing more than playing the game itself, so being a judge, kind of provided me an “opening” to be involved in an advanced level of gameplay without me really having to play the game. So win-win for me! 😁

Are there any myths that you would want to dispel about judges and judging? 
I think it is not true that judges are out to get players. In most cases, Judges want to improve the gaming experience through removing the haze of doubts and uncertainties regarding gameplays. One tips for players is that judges would love to provide you key insights during matches, you just need to ask the right questions or phrase the question correctly XP.

What would you recommend, for those who are interested to become a judge.
I would say come check out the experience yourself, because a lot of people became judges for a whole lot of different reasons. Feel free to explore the options and find out what works and does not work for you. Perhaps being in the Judge program will add to your gaming experience even more like how it has done for me.

What does it means to head judge a PPTQ?
For me, being a head judge is to helm the responsibility in amplifying the tournament organiser's intent to provide an enjoyable experience to all the players. Magic is such a game of intellect and strategy, (of course with some luck involved as well I would say), so for most players, enjoyment comes from playing and pitting their wits against each other through gameplay. By simply doing my job as a neutral arbiter of the game, I believe I will already be contributing largely to the goal. Additionally, mentoring new judges towards this goal will be as essential.

What would make the event great?
Finding ways to help reduce delays, at the same time ensuring that players have a conducive environment to play in, contribute to making the event great. But ultimately, it is really the tournament organisers and players participating the event that makes the event exciting and eventful.

Since this is the 1st time that you’re judging a PPTQ, are you nervous? 
Oh hell yaaaas. Hahaa! I think I was quite anxious at the Head Judge announcement before the start of round 1. I asked my fellow floor judges on how I did after, they both kindly and gently mentioned that I sounded nervous too. I guess that as much as I can prepare beforehand, the actual moment of truth never fails to reveal the true feelings.

What are some preparations that you have done?
I think as the event day was nearing, I started reading up on all the recent changes, as well as potential metagames that are currently in the magic community. I also started drafting my HJ announcement scripts (Yes, some of us actually have scripts).

Appeals from Judgelife
What are the challenges that you have faced?
I think one of the initial challenges was the fact that it was the first time being a HJ without another L2, I was unsure of how to start or how to engage all the players. I had to just jump into the “deep end of the water” and start somewhere. Thankfully, everyone was very gracious towards me first delivery.

How do you think the event flow was?
I think the event was pretty smooth. One of my anticipation was the delays and the confusions that might have caused by the Krak-Clan Ironworks (KCI) combo deck, as well as the chain of Storm spells that new players might be unfamiliar with. But it seems like all the games played were in a pretty orderly and timely manner, without much things cropping up. So I would say it went pretty smooth.

What was the most interesting encounter that you had for the day?
I think the most interesting encounter was the KCI combo deck playing against a Knight of Reliquary deck. It is quite apparent to both players that once the KCI player combo fires off, the game is pretty undeniably a guaranteed game in KCI's favor. But I think the opponent felt that he would like to see how the KCI player combo off and deal the finishing blow, he did not scoop. I did not interfere, until time was called and it was clear that the KCI player was still pretty much still starting his combo. I felt that I had to step in and provide a shortcut, and clarify that both players understood the situation, allowing the game to reach the conclusion prompty. That's about it.

Any comments for the players?
Hahaa! Nope, I enjoy watching and getting involved with players and the games played.

Any word of advice for the players?
Asking the right questions can sometimes provide you with essential notes for your gameplay. 😋 To have to repeat it twice, must mean that it is important!



No comments:

Post a Comment